US President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (April 14) that he has instructed his administration to temporarily halt funding to the World Health Organisation (WHO) over its handling of the coronavirus pandemic.
White House news conference, the US President Mr Trump said the WHO had failed in its basic duty and it must be held accountable. He mentioned the WHO had promoted China’s “disinformation” about the virus that likely led to a wider outbreak of the virus than otherwise would have occurred.
He further added that the WHO prevented transparency over the outbreak and the United States – the UN body’s biggest funder which provided US$400 million (S$565 million) last year – will now “discuss what to do with all that money that goes to the WHO.”
“With the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic, we have deep concerns whether America’s generosity has been put to the best use possible.”
Mr Trump’s attack on the WHO which based on his belief that the organisation is biased towards China and colluded to prevent the United States’ main economic rival from having to be open about the unfolding health disaster.